This allows a company to continue to report an original amount by not making any changes directly to an account. Instead, an alternative contra account is used to report any changes. The original account and its contra account are presented together on the financial statements to show original amount, total amount of changes, and the net result of the two . Learn about the meaning of contra accounts, how and why they are used, and how to account for balances with them.
- Normal discounts usually consist of a marketing strategy, when a customer purchases a large volume of product, or if a customer wants to make early payments on the product.
- The sales discount account represents the discount amount a company gives to customers as an incentive to purchase its products or services.
- Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool’s premium services.
- Home Depot reports that returns are estimated at the time of the sale based on historic returns numbers.
- A Cash DiscountCash discounts are direct incentives and discounts provided by any company to their customers in exchange for paying their bills on time or before the due date.
This is done either to increase the value of the existing shares or to prevent various shareholders from controlling the company. The discount offered on the liability created when a company borrows a specific amount of money and repays it early. Discount on notes payable reduces the total amount of the note to reflect the discount offered by the lender.
What Is the Benefit of Using a Contra Account?
When the account receivable is written off, it is added to bad debt expense on the income statement and placed in the contra account. If a company has a high or fast-growing allowance as a percentage of accounts receivable, keep a close eye on it.
If you want to compare your business’s revenue from period to period, look at your operating revenue. This gives you more of an idea of whether your company is growing or declining since non-operating revenue is irregular. https://www.bookstime.com/ The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Advisory services provided by Carbon Collective Investment LLC (“Carbon Collective”), an SEC-registered investment adviser.
Similarities- Contra Asset vs Contra Revenue Account
There is also the question whether there is any contra account with the other departments in that connection. There is no recognition in the arguments of the contra account. The sales return account is leading to a reduction in the sales account. Therefore, the sales return account is known as a contra revenue account because it decreases the value of assets. Another reason to include contra accounts on a balance sheet is to preserve the historical value of the main account.